Monastery of Our Lady of Machmoucheh is one of Lebanon’s largest and most important Maronite monasteries. It was built on the burial site of Patriarch Semaan Awad. The town's name originally comes from the Syriac language and means "the church's servants and deacons". Machmoucheh, which was once the center of the archbishopric of Saida and Deir el-Qamar, enjoys a beautiful view overlooking the neighbring villages, below. Among the noteworthy sites within the village are the Monastery of our lady of Machmoucheh, built in 1732, and a water fountain dating to 1787.