Downtown, Beirut district
Abou Bakr al Siddiq Mosque, in Downtown Beirut, has been alternatively referred to as The Mosque of the Sea and The Tannery Mosque, given its historic proximity to each. It dates back to 1294, during the reign of Omar Ibn al-Khattab. It was demolished in 1915 under the French Mandate but rebuilt in 1932. The mosque sustained heavy damage during the Lebanese war, but it was remarkably restored and reopened in 1999.